In the 16th century, Kempe Gowdas added grandeur to the temple by building the frontage to the cave temple with Gopuras (towers), large tridents, discs known as Suryapana and Chandrapana representing the Sun and the Moon, a damaru (drum) and two fans (all pictured in the gallery).
Another interesting astronomical feature which attracts thousands of devotes to the temple on Makar Sankranti day in January is of sun rays passing between the horns of the Nandi (bull), located outside at the entrance to the temple, which lights the idol of Shiva inside the cave.
Anglo-Indians also form a substantial group within the city.
The earliest recorded history of Islamic influence in Bengaluru could be traced to 1638, when the old Bengaluru Pete (now an integral part of the Bengaluru city) was conquered by Bijapur Sultan who ruled for the next 50 years.
The Mughals took over in 1687 and leased the town and the surrounding areas to Chikkadeva Raya Wodeyar of the Kingdom of Mysore, in 1690 AD.